Puerto Vallarta snorkeling is a popular activity that everyone can enjoy. Whether you want to snorkel off the beach or book a tour, there’s something for you. Enjoy a snorkeling party cruise or take a private boat to a hidden island. You are sure to enjoy snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta.
About Snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta
The warm pacific waters allow for snorkeling all year round. Snorkeling is best June through December, when the water temperature is 78-85 degrees Fahrenheit and the average underwater visibility is 30-100 ft. If you are planning to snorkel January through May, expect average water temperatures of 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit and underwater visibility of 15-45 ft.
What to See While Snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta
Although there is no reef in Puerto Vallarta, you will still be amazed by the beauty below. There is an abundance of marine life that will excite even an experienced snorkeler. While snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta, you will see giant manta rays, dolphins, sea turtles and schools of tropical fish. Look for angel fish, cornet fish, puffer fish, and parrot fish. Along with these brightly colored fish, you may also see moray eels, spotted eagle rays, starfish and seahorses.
November starts whale season in Puerto Vallarta, so lucky snorkelers might hear the songs of humpbacks underwater or watch them jumping in the beautiful Puerto Vallarta waters.
Where to Snorkel in Puerto Vallarta
Los Acos is a protected marine park located near Mismaloya in the Bay of Banderas and is known as the most popular place to snorkel in Puerto Vallarta. Here you will find three huge rocks with underwater tunnels.
Marrietas Islands is a protected wildlife sanctuary and marine preserve made famous by Jacques Cousteau and a great place to snorkel. This island is home to a rare species of bird: the Blue-Footed Booby.
Majahuita coves are located south of Puerto Vallarta and encompass the south shore of Banderas Bay, where the Sierra Madre Mountains spill into the ocean. This combination creates a protected habitat for marine life and tropical fish as well as an ideal snorkeling location.
Snorkeling Adventures in Puerto Vallarta
Las Caletas on Banderas Bay have clear, calm waters where you can snorkel with the sea lions.
Playa Los Colomitos is one of Puerto Vallarta’s most secluded beaches, where you can snorkel in a hidden bay.
Puerto Vallarta Snorkeling Tour Providers
- Chico’s Dive Shop
- Puerto Vallarta Divers
- Puerto Vallarta Tours
- Sailing/ Fishing Unlimited
- Scuba Vallarta
- Silent World Divers
- Vallarta Adventures
- Vallarta Under Sea
Tips for Snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta
- Private snorkeling tours, group snorkeling tours and cruise snorkeling tours are sold at many hotels, online sites and tour companies. These tours can last for a few hours or for the whole day, with prices starting at about $35.00.
- Most snorkeling tour companies offer transfers that will pick you up from your hotel or the pier.
- Bring an underwater camera. You will want to capture that special Puerto Vallarta snorkeling moment. You can purchase a disposable underwater camera for around $12.00.
- On a budget? Bring your own snorkeling gear. But don’t stress if you don’t have any: rentals can be found at snorkeling tour centers or most hotels.
- Don’t touch or feed the fish and mammals while snorkeling. Mexican law protects them.
- Wear biodegradable eco-friendly sunscreen while snorkeling.