Dining and Nightlife
Puerto Vallarta dining and nightlife has something for everyone, from popular bars like Senor Frogs to elegant restaurants.
Many of Puerto Vallarta’s restaurants are on the shores of the sparkling blue Bahia de Banderas Bay surrounded by emerald green mountains.
It is easy to understand why many Puerto Vallarta restaurants and bars cater to diners who prefer to be served in the open air where they can enjoy a spectacular view.
The narrow winding cobblestone streets are lined with a wide variety of clubs, restaurants and bars. Many reflect the diverse flavor and culture of this sea side town.
However, there are plenty of other dining locations in Puerto Vallarta, including downtown, Isla Rio Cuale, Old Town, Marina Vallarta, Southern Zone and Northern Zone.
The Puerto Vallarta Dining Experience
- For most Mexicans, lunch is the main meal of the day and eaten no earlier than 2pm, followed by cocktails at 7pm and dinner at 9 or 10pm.
- Mexicans make dining an experience, not just a meal. Most restaurants and cafes have live music and shows accompanied by mariachi music.
- Slow down: Puerto Vallarta restaurant service tends to be slower than in the United States and Canada.
- Tipping in Puerto Vallarta is the same as the United States and Canada. Make sure that the tip is not already put on the bill and if leaving cash, give it directly to the server. It is also customary to tip the mariachi players if you request a song.
- Popular Puerto Vallarta Restaurants that cater to tourists use purified water for cooking and for washing produce. Avoid ice cubes in drinks unless you know purified water has been used.
- Puerto Vallarta restaurants do not usually have a separate non-smoking area.
Puerto Vallarta Dining Varieties
There are many dining options in Puerto Vallarta to choose from, including those that serve International, French, Mexican, Seafood, and Spanish cuisines
. Whatever your favorite food, you can find it in Puerto Vallarta restaurants. So feast on the best fillet mignon or quesadilla you have ever eaten: Puerto Vallarta has something to satisfy every taste and budget.
Dining Events in Puerto Vallarta
You won’t want to miss the Festival Gourmet International, which Puerto Vallarta hosts during the month of November. Local and international chefs gather to display their favorite recipes.
After Dining in Puerto Vallarta, Go Out on the Town
Puerto Vallarta has a happening party scene, especially on the weekends. Most popular bars, nightclubs and discos are found downtown at El Centro Malecon strip. The drinking age in Puerto Vallarta is 18, but most places don’t card carefully. Keep in mind some clubs have cover charges, ranging from 100-400 pesos.
Nightlife in Puerto Vallarta starts around 11pm, and goes into the wee hours of the night. Bars and cantinas serve alcohol until 2am and most dance clubs are open until 4am-6am.
Whether Dining or Dancing, Puerto Vallarta Has Something For Everyone
Whether you’re in the mood for a romantic candlelit dinner or to dance the night away at some of the most sizzling nightclubs, you can find what you’re looking for in Puerto Vallarta. The toughest part will be deciding which option is right for you.